PE and Sports zone
WELCOME TO ST BEDE'S PE AND SPORT PAGE:
Our Vision for PE at St Bede's:
To develop children that have a lifelong love of being active. Children who understand the benefits of a healthy lifestyle as well as the link between physical and mental wellbeing. Most of all we want children to enjoy being active, to always be willing to develop their skills and to challenge themselves to improve their personal best.
We will do this by having an engaging and broad curriculum delivered by highly trained staff that focuses on the inclusion and progression of every child through PE lesson, competitive school sport and the life skills that can be learned through these.
In 2018-2019 we achieved Gold School Games Mark. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic the mark has been suspended for the past 2 years, however we have received a recognition award in both years for maintaining our high standards during the school year despite the limitations!
Please see our twitter feed for updates on Sports and PE activities in schoolas well as flyer and links to sports clubs in the area---https://twitter.com/BedesWeaverham?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Eprofile%3ABedesWeaverham&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.st-bedes.cheshire.sch.uk%2F
National Curriculum on PE:
Purpose of study=A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
Aims=The national curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils:
* develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
* are physically active for sustained periods of time
* engage in competitive sports and activities
* lead healthy, active lives
What does it look like in school?
Our PE and Sport activities at St Bedes fall into 3 categories, all of which we would aim to promote and develop skills and abilities through with the children.
1) Curriculum PE. Each class has 2 hours of timetabled PE. This will involve games, gym, dance, athletics as well as other disciplines dependent on year group. The focus is our fundamental movements and skills in EYFS and KS1 with these being developed and applied to more active situations as the children move through KS2.
2) Competitive school sport. As a school we are part of the VRSSP (Vale Royal School Sports Partnership) who organise inter-school events in the area. These often involve initial competitions against our local cluster of Catholic Primary schools. We are also involved in other inter school competitions linked to football and swimming. Our aim to involve as many children as possible in representing the school and seeking to develop their own personal best. In the summer term we also have a Sports Week where daily events are held between schools across a range of sports. Within school we also encourage intra school events. We have sports day, our swimming gala as well as a Sports Crew who plan events for children to challenge themselves with within the school day.
3) Healthy lifestyle. The children are taught about what constitutes a healthy lifestyle as well as the link between physical and mental health. Through cross-curricular activities and events such as our Healthy Me from Head to Toe week the children are engaged in discussion about being active, diet, sleep, and mental wellbeing with the aim of developing the whole child and embedding life long positive habits.